Board Peer Learning Community
As we think about designing our boards collaboratively and with accountability, we will have the opportunity to discuss best practices and share out with our peers. We will layer on various questions that spark reflection and dialogue on how we can build board engagement.
As part of the Peer Learning Community, you will have a Board Handbook to continue your practice. Should you need additional guidance, there is an option to add coaching to assist with the implementation of governance practices.
We are kicking off this 5-session series with 60-minute sessions limited to 20 participants. Our group will be led by experts in governance and charter oversight spotlighting the following:
Introduction and Launch Session – August 4th, 4:00-5:00 pm
We understand you might not be ready to dive into board duties at the end of the school year. That is why we added a session to introduce you to your cohort of board members and also equip you with some housekeeping tasks so you will be prepared for the fall. Feel confident you have a roadmap leading you into the upcoming year.
Session 1: Understanding Key Responsibilities and Leadership Partnership – September 15th, 4:00-5:00 pm
- Profile of a strong Board Chair and and board members
- Cultivating a strong partnership with school leadership
- Promoting transparency& open communication
- Lane management: role & responsibilities
- Suggested best practices
Session 2: Board Operations – October 20th, 4:00-5:00 pm
- Establishing a Board Calendar – Year-in-the-Life of a board
- Importance of Committee Structure
- Framing the Work & Accountability
- Importance of the Board Self-Assessment
- Performance Review & Development Process
Session 3: Meeting Management 101 – November 17th, 4:00-5:00 pm
- Establishing a board liaison role
- Meeting Preparation
- Managing agendas, minutes, and consent agenda
- Norms and Expectations
- Open Meeting Law
- Robert’s Rules
Session 4: Building Board Culture and Sustainability – January 19th, 4:00-5:00 pm
- Envisioning a positive board culture (Stanford Study)
- Managing challenging board members
- Three Modes of Governance
- Nominations and onboarding
- Succession Planning
Session 5: Leading Through Change and Crisis – February 16th, 4:00-5:00 pm
- Addressing financial, reputational, and legal ramifications
- Board’s role in the critical crisis stage
- Strategic Planning
- New leader search and transition
Cost: $450.00 per person includes 5 sessions plus an introductory session and a digital New Board Chair Handbook.
Session 6: Hot Topic March 16th, 4:00-5:00 pm
Open session for dialogue on your issues of choice.